Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Wilson County Fair

We attended the fair from 12:30 until 10:00 P.M. on the first Saturday evening. What a wonderful day!! I couldn't believe how big the fairgrounds were and how much there was to see and do. We loved it! We live just 10 minutes away from the fairgrounds, so it was very convenient. This is a really big event for Wilson County, as well as surrounding counties.
The events offered the day we attended the fair. Hmmm, this sign doesn't reflect a really big event that occurred that evening. What, you ask? Bobby's singing debut! Ha! A ventriloquist used Bobby as his "dummy" in part of his routine. I don't think I've ever laughed so hard in my life! Ha! He put this goofy looking mask on Bobby and made him stand there as the "dummy" while he talked for both of them. Of course he used a really hick accent for Bobby . . . as if he doesn't have one already! Ha! The funniest part, however, was when he had Bobby sing a love song to me. If there is one song in this world that I despise more than any other song, it is "Swingin" by John Anderson. Guess which song the ventriloquist sang? Yes, you guessed it: "Swingin." Ahhhhhhhh! Bobby's body was shacking with laughter since he knows that I can't stand that song. I could do nothing but laugh and laugh. :) Oh, if only I had had my video camera at that moment. Well, it's a moment we will never forget, that's for sure.
You can't really tell, but this rabbit was bigger than a dog and bigger than Johnny!! It was beautiful, but absolutely huge!


I just love roosters, so had to take several pictures of the many varieties featured at the fair. I'll spare you a photo of each, so here's just one. :)


Isn't this cool? It is a horse made out of horseshoes. How creative!



Inside one little shop was a bunch of antiques. I just had to photograph these for you, Dad. :) You would have loved browsing through this store!







I felt kind-of sorry for this horse who stood on this cart all day waiting for his signal to make ice for homemade ice cream. Poor thing!




This father, along with his three sons, sang and played bluegrass music. They were really good. Robby said they sounded like the Darlins. :) If you are a fan of Andy Griffith, you know who I'm referring to. :)






It was so cool to see this general store! Why? Because it is the store used in one of the Cedarmont Kids videos that we love and watch over and over again. It is in Fiddler's Grove on the Wilson County fairgrounds.



This just cracked us up!! This, obviously, was a pig race. Ha! Notice the names and numbers for each pig on the far right. Too funny!! This is for you, Jason Davis! :)
Go, piggy, go!!!
Here's the man who called each race. He was good and very, very funny. :) The lady in the picture stood in front of us and was selected to cheer for the Dale Earnhardt Jr. pig. Since her pig won, she was awarded "Pig Queen" of the Wilson County Fair and had to kiss the pig. Ha!! Rats, that could have been me had I been selected! Ha! Well, maybe next year I'll be named "Pig Queen." It's something to strive for. Just kidding!!!!!
Guess who wanted to ride this with Daddy? Yes, Robby!







Look at their happy, smiling faces. Robby has no clue what awaits him.




If you look closely, you'll notice that that is Bobby and Robby on the far left of the picture right beside the door to the ride.
Uh, did Robby enjoy the ride? No! It was a bit fast and kind-of scary for him. Bobby said that during the ride Robby said, "I think I'm going to be sick." Poor little guy! Well, he didn't get sick, but he didn't ask to ride any more "big" rides after that.

Ok, this ride was much better! :)
Wheeeeeeee!!
Yes, he's enjoying the kiddie roller coaster.




It is really, really hard to photograph family members as they spin and twirl on a ride. Ha! So, this was taken just as the ride ended. I think Johnny enjoyed it. (Mommy cannot ride circle rides anymore, so Daddy has to. Ha!)













This is the monkey that they rode. I just couldn't seem to get their picture while it faced me for a few brief moments on each rotation.














Neat ride!














Trust me, Bobby and Johnny are riding this monkey ride.








Ready to ride!